Sunday, October 20, 2013

Strawberry crate project

Hi all, we've had great success with our strawberries this season. But some of them were damaged because of hanging over the edge of my pots, the stems would get kinked by the rim of the pots. It would be much easier to grow my strawberries in the ground, but I have no soil at our apartment. Also, my strawberries have runners with no where to go.
For months now I've been pondering how to grow my strawberries like I've seen done on a farm: on a mound, runners are weaving together, straw covering the soil so strawberries can rest on top. I thought about square shaped wooden crates lined up in a row, knowing me I'm not going to just go out and spend money without seeing if I can get a discount or free. Unfortunately, the Orchard Hardware Store (OSH) in our area is in the process of closing, they had wooden crates discounted for $15 each, I decided to wait to see if I could get them cheaper.  I was able to purchase them for $10 each, but I had to buy 10, that was perfectly fine since they had a base with wheels. (See pics)

Step 1. Purchase wooden crates, these wooden crates are screwed together and mounted on wheels.
Step 2. Dismantle to 10 individual wooden crates.
Step 3. Now I've screwed wooden crates back together but one level, 6 in a row.

This is all I've done so far, the next steps are:
Step 4. Line crates with a food grade plastic to preserve wood crates.
Step 5. Add soil and transplant strawberries, top soil with straw.
Step 6. Select a hot location, easy to do since it has wheels.





No comments:

Post a Comment